- Mobile Theft
- Responsible Driving
- Wireless Communications and Health
As packaging is developed, we take a holistic approach that involves nearly every cross-functional team. “Reduce - Reuse – Recycle” drives our packaging innovation, as well as compliance initiatives.
Packaging progress summary
Motorola Mobility’s Global Packaging team works hand in hand with our carrier partners to reduce the weight and volume of our retail packaging while expanding the use of recycled materials. Wherever possible, we design and engineer our product packaging with “minimizing environmental impact” as an integral part of our design brief. Current packaging initiatives include:
- Use of FSC certified papers
- Use of water-based adhesives
- Use of 100 percent recycled content pulp packaging parts, replacing plastic parts
- Use of soy/vegetable based inks as well as zero VOC UV inks
- Program-to-program reduction initiatives
- Increasing packaging density per pallet
Examples of packaging improvements in 2011
MOTOROLA XOOM WI-FI TO MOTOROLA XOOM 2: By engineering and testing various materials and their impact strengths, we were able to reduce the amount of internal support needed to protect the Motorola XOOM 2 and therefore, reduce the size of the consumer packaging by more than 22 percent on a device that had a larger surface area than the previous generation.
- 22 percent packaging volume reduction
- Unit boxes per pallet increased from 240 to 360
- 28 percent reduction of packaging material (includes internal pulp and external board)
DROID BIONIC TO DROID RAZR: Our work to launch the DROID RAZR portfolio within Verizon’s new packaging requirements achieved an 11 percent volume reduction over the previous premium packaging program launch. The new packaging is the smallest premium package in the Verizon portfolio to date.
- MOTOROLA ROADSTER TO MOTOROLA ROADSTER 2: By redesigning the structural layout and configuration of the packaging. We were able to realize a 21 percent reduction in packaging cubic volume and slight increase in pallet count from our first Motorola Roadster to Motorola Roadster 2.
- MODEMS/GATEWAYS: Motorola continually reviews and refines our modem and gateway packaging to reduce waste and introduce recycled material. We ship using our latest environmentally friendly package design in single-pack boxes, eliminating the suspension plastic and reducing the carton size. Service providers may choose to receive products in a bulk package, reducing packaging even further. Our bulk packaging solution eliminates excess installation CDs and USB cables. Customers have the option to reduce the number of cables shipped with each unit. Modem packaging is 100 percent recyclable and is labeled with standard recycling codes.